Each company that I visit provides a driver to pick me up from the hotel to take me to their factory. Things accomplished in the first week:
- Running a red light, which really is tame compared to everything else. It was funny that three police officers on motorcycles watched us run the red light.
- Driving on the wrong side of the street so we're driving into oncoming traffic (which saved us a lot of time I have to admit)
- Driving on a sidewalk. No one on the sidewalk seemed to think it was odd, including the pedestrians we almost killed.
Other things I've noticed about driving:
- For as "independent" as people drive, there are very few accidents.
- People don't really speed either. They just want to be moving.
- I have yet to see a gas station. I know they must exist. If anyone figures out that putting one off of a major road would be a good idea, they'll really be rich.
There aren't a lot of bicycles in Shenzhen. Certainly, not the same amount as you may see in Beijing. The local economy is good enough that a decent number of people can buy a car of some sort (many cars do expel huge black clouds of exhaust).
The drivers I've had so far vary. One was really impatient and would yell a lot. Most were pretty calm. Most drove without the radio on. One drove listening to talk radio. Tonight however, I was in for a treat. My driver put on some pop music station where he was 'jamming' to what I can only call a Chinese Britney Spears. He seemed to enjoy it too. He was bouncing his head with the music like someone I know.
2 comments:
I think you're supposed to read that from right-to-left, so it's probably DOOM lighting. It's probably what happens when the taxi drivers run one too many red lights.
Keep up the postings...LOL
Hopefully they have side curtain airbags. It sounds like you might need them.
Post a Comment